Develop better models and methods
The main purpose of this R&D programme is to develop better models and methods with which to plan a power transmission system that affords optimal socioeconomic benefits. At the same time, we aim to protect the environment and exploit new technological opportunities. All the projects in the programme support this aim. The Sustainable Systems Development programme contains the following projects:
- Alternatives to Grid 2.0
- Model development
You will find a presentation of our results in the field of sustainable systems development at the bottom of this page.
The programme also attempts to achieve results in the following areas:
- Quantify the environmental and climate impacts of our power line and substation projects, so this information can be used in Statnett’s decision-making processes.
- Develop initiatives to reduce Statnett’s greenhouse gas emissions and environmental impact.
- Develop tools and methods that can be used to perform probability analyses on delivery reliability in meshed grids with stochastic production, linked to consumption and outages.
- Develop comprehensive market models, including risk assessments and balancing markets in order to more accurately calculate the profitability of projects beyond 2020 and analyse different market designs.
- Improve the way we explain complex issues to decision-makers/members of the public and communicate with society at large using new methods and tools.
- Explore the opportunities afforded by system technologies to secure the cost-effective development of tomorrow’s power generation and transmission systems.